The Leadership Program in Health and Well-Being is a one-year robust, combined in-person and distance-based leadership development and mentoring program for well-being leaders that teaches the knowledge and skills necessary to successfully develop, launch, lead, sustain, and grow an health and well-being culture across all healthcare settings.
The dates for March 2022 enrollment are:
March 17-19, 2022 in Durham, NC
Leadership Immersion I
March 21, 2022
Online Coursework Begins
September 15-17, 2022 in Durham, NC
Leadership Immersion II
September 2022-March 2023
Mentorship Experience and Business Project Creation
March 16-17, 2023 in Durham, NC
Business Project Presentation in Durham, NC
The Leadership Program in Health and Well-Being is now accepting applications for March 2022 enrollment until January 15, 2022.
About the Program Curriculum
During the Immersions, participants receive personal training in leadership skills such as mindfulness practice, effective group dynamics, fostering transformation, mastering structural integrity, and organizational evolution. Participants can expect to deepen their understanding of who they are as leaders, increase their ability to communicate effectively, and understand how to improve a sense of ownership and accountability in those they lead.
Each day course participants will hear from nationally-recognized leaders such as:
- Tracy Gaudet, MD, is an internationally known expert in transforming health care and serves as the Executive Director of the Chopra Institute for Whole Health and an advisor to the Healthy US Collaborative. Previously, she served as the Executive Director of the Veterans Health Administration’s (VHA) National Office of Patient Centered Care and Cultural Transformation.
- General Stanley McChrystal, who led the transformation of the US forces in Afghanistan
- Ralph Snyderman, Chancellor Emeritus at Duke, whose vision helped create the Academic Consortium for Integrative Medicine and Health
- John Weeks, writer, speaker, chronicler and organizer with 32 years of experience in the movement for integrative health and medicine. He is editor of the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine and writes a blog for The Huffington Post
- Daniel Friedland, Integrative Health researcher and former Chair of the Academy of Integrative Health and Medicine
- General Eric Schoomaker, former United States Army Lieutenant who served as the 42nd Surgeon General of the United States Army and Commanding General, United States Army Medical Command
- Myles Spar, leading authority in Integrative Men’s Health and a primary medical advisor for the National Basketball Association
- Patricia Herman, senior behavioral scientist at the RAND Corporation and expert on health economics and innovative care models
The Leadership Immersions take place at Duke Integrative Medicine in Durham, North Carolina.
The online curriculum for The Leadership Program in Health and Well-Being includes courses on the following content areas
- Well-Being of the Leader
- Exploring Models of Leadership
- Living and Leading with Purpose
- The Current Landscape of Health Promotion
- Health Policy
- Principles of Open Design
- Lifestyle and Health Behavior Change
- Economic Evaluation of Programs and Services
- Strategic Planning
- Introduction to Entrepreneurship
- Project Management
- Work Culture
- Health Coaching
- Thought Leadership in Healthcare
- Marketing Health and Well-Being
- The Basics of Human Resources
The international faculty – renowned experts in health and well-being, leadership, and business – are dedicated to each participant’s success.
After completing the online coursework, participants are paired with a faculty mentor from Duke’s Fuqua School of Business, recently ranked as the number one business school in the nation. With their mentor’s help, participants craft a business project for implementing or evolving a health and well-being strategy at their organization.
To lead a transformative program, we must live it first. This unique program focuses on the inner life of the leader. Participants complete a Health and Well-Being Self-Assessment prior to the start of the program and have the opportunity to work on self-care with a Well-Being Coach throughout the year.
The application for March 2022 enrollment is open until January 15, 2022.